Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

The Next Step: Senior Athletes Playing Sports
Bella Katynski, Reporter • May 12, 2024

The 2023-24 school year is coming to an end, and our beloved East Haven High School athletes are headed off to their next chapters of life. But...

BUZZ BEATS: The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan
BUZZ BEATS: "The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess" by Chappell Roan
Willow Torres, Reporter • May 10, 2024

Chappell Roan, whose real name is Kayleigh Rose Amstutz, is a Missouri-born American singer-songwriter. Many of the songs on her debut album,...

Indulge in the Sweetness of Anginette Cookies

On Friday April 19th, this year’s Anginette Wars will be taking place in EHHS starting at 6pm. Everyone is welcome to watch and tickets are only $20. They can be purchased online on EventBrite!

Anginette Wars is a popular Italian cookie baking competition that raises money for Clothe the Children, a program run by the East Haven Rotary Club that provides quality clothing for hundreds of children in need.

Over 40 bakers are registered to compete this year and are bringing in their own unique spin on the traditional Anginetti or ‘lemon drop’ cookie to be taste tested by judges and those in the audience. Anginetti cookies are Italian Wedding Cookies that have rich historical significance in Italian culture, and originate from regions like Sicily, Naples, and Calabria. They date back all the way to ancient times, and also have roots in Christianity. As generations have passed, their popularity has spread outside of Italy, and they have become a staple in the homes of Italian-American families, especially in the town of East Haven where the Italian population has been high.

Anginetti cookies are traditionally made with simple ingredients such as flour, eggs, powdered sugar, and lemon zest, and the most popular flavors include lemon, orange, almond, and vanilla. Anginetti cookies are often associated with weddings and Easter celebrations, but they can be served at all types of holidays and events all-year round. They are a symbol of familial bonding and community, and are representative of Italian values of spending time with family and enjoying food prepared with love and care. They get across the warmth and joy of Italian culture and are a delicious treat.

Anginette Wars is an exciting event to kick off the Spring season that nobody should miss out on. People who attend can try a multitude of tasty cookies all made from different, special recipes and inspired by cool themes while supporting a noble cause. There is also a raffle that attendees can enter in and potentially win some fantastic prizes! Not only can participants have fun and satisfy their sweet tooths, they can do so while supporting the East Haven Rotary Club and local children. Come grab some cookies for the evening and share your delight with family and friends!