Keepin It Reel: A Binge-worthy TV Show to Get You in the Mood for Summer
Keepin' It Reel: A Binge-worthy TV Show to Get You in the Mood for Summer
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 24, 2024

Outer Banks  Genre: Drama, Adventure  Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Outer banks follows a group of teens who consider themselves...

AP Classes and AP Tests: Are They Worth It?
Sofia Calixto, Reporter • May 24, 2024

As we head into May, AP Exams will be taking place May 6th-May 16th. Taking this course along with taking the exam have many benefits while also...

Buzzing Bites: Blueberry Donut Iced Coffee
Holly Speers, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

On this week’s buzzing bites I will be reviewing the new blueberry donut iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts.  This coffee truly does taste like...

Indulge in the Sweetness of Anginette Cookies

On Friday April 19th, this year’s Anginette Wars will be taking place in EHHS starting at 6pm. Everyone is welcome to watch and tickets are only $20. They can be purchased online on EventBrite!

Anginette Wars is a popular Italian cookie baking competition that raises money for Clothe the Children, a program run by the East Haven Rotary Club that provides quality clothing for hundreds of children in need.

Over 40 bakers are registered to compete this year and are bringing in their own unique spin on the traditional Anginetti or ‘lemon drop’ cookie to be taste tested by judges and those in the audience. Anginetti cookies are Italian Wedding Cookies that have rich historical significance in Italian culture, and originate from regions like Sicily, Naples, and Calabria. They date back all the way to ancient times, and also have roots in Christianity. As generations have passed, their popularity has spread outside of Italy, and they have become a staple in the homes of Italian-American families, especially in the town of East Haven where the Italian population has been high.

Anginetti cookies are traditionally made with simple ingredients such as flour, eggs, powdered sugar, and lemon zest, and the most popular flavors include lemon, orange, almond, and vanilla. Anginetti cookies are often associated with weddings and Easter celebrations, but they can be served at all types of holidays and events all-year round. They are a symbol of familial bonding and community, and are representative of Italian values of spending time with family and enjoying food prepared with love and care. They get across the warmth and joy of Italian culture and are a delicious treat.

Anginette Wars is an exciting event to kick off the Spring season that nobody should miss out on. People who attend can try a multitude of tasty cookies all made from different, special recipes and inspired by cool themes while supporting a noble cause. There is also a raffle that attendees can enter in and potentially win some fantastic prizes! Not only can participants have fun and satisfy their sweet tooths, they can do so while supporting the East Haven Rotary Club and local children. Come grab some cookies for the evening and share your delight with family and friends!