Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

The Next Step: Senior Athletes Playing Sports
Bella Katynski, Reporter • May 12, 2024

The 2023-24 school year is coming to an end, and our beloved East Haven High School athletes are headed off to their next chapters of life. But...

BUZZ BEATS: The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan
BUZZ BEATS: "The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess" by Chappell Roan
Willow Torres, Reporter • May 10, 2024

Chappell Roan, whose real name is Kayleigh Rose Amstutz, is a Missouri-born American singer-songwriter. Many of the songs on her debut album,...

YellowJackets Girls Softball Poised for Success in Upcoming Season

Photo by Mark Curcio

The EHHS girls softball team is determined to make it back to the SCC tournament this year after a strong 13 year record and a difficult season last year.

The Record 

2023: 6-14

2022: 22-2 and SCC Championships 

2021: 21-4

2019: 20-5 

Head Coach Ed Crisafi says, “Last year was kind of a bummer. Yeah, and you know we want to get back out there.” 

The Coaches

Coach Crisafi is in his 30th year of coaching this year. He has continuously led the girls to success and always pushed them to be the best they can. The assistant coach is Talia Loda.

Talia started as a coach in 2018 and since then had run two clinics and helped coach travel softball. She became the pitching coach at EHHS in 2022 and is an alumnus from the class of 2014.  She says, “What I love most about coaching is teaching girls how to play and understand the game. There’s nothing more enjoyable than teaching girls new skills and watching them practice them and transfer those skills into a game.”

The Captains

Coach Crisafi believes a good captain is,“[A good leader]… very outgoing. [They] lead by example. Plus [they should be] good players.” The coaches elect the captains each year and look for leader qualities. 

Assistant Coach Talia says, “Our captains help teach new players on our team what its like to play for a varsity level softball team and are good role models for them.”

The senior captains include Gianna Fowler, Miranda Consiglio, and Abigail Christman. Gianna has been a starter for 4 years, Miranda Consiglio has been a starter for 2 years, and Abby Christman is on her second year for the varsity team.

The junior captains include Lexi Heaphy and Gianna Santoro. Both of them have been on varsity since their freshman year and are both very good leaders and outgoing according to Coach Crisafi

Pullquote Photo

It’s really easy to let your anger out on the field; it’s really like therapy without having to talk about your problems. Honestly it’s an escape from reality sometimes.

— Miranda Consiglio

Pullquote Photo

I started at the pit so it was just for fun, but then I really started to love it and then I started with travel.

— Gianna Fowler

Senior Captain Abigail Christman: According to the Softball Instagram account Abby has played softball for 13 years and loves the way home from away game wins. 

Junior Captain Gianna Santoro: According to the Softball Instagram account She has been playing for 12 years and  plans to coach later in the future. 

Pullquote Photo

I’ve made some very good friendships.

— Lexi Heaphy, Junior Captain

Working Together

The captains shared how they work together to build a team.

Gianna Fowler says, “We definitely communicate amongst each other to like help make practices run smoother and to communicate and have things like extra activities to do.” 

Miranda Consiglio says, “[The captains] also remind each other to just have fun, because at the end of the day it’s just a game, and it is supposed to bring us joy, not sadness.” The captains also plan things like pasta parties and activities after practice to help the team bond together. 

Why Care? Why even join? 

There are many reasons why people should join softball. Some of these reasons being:

1. The team becomes your second family
  2. Fun and easy way to meet new people and make a lot of friends 
  3. Underclassmen can meet upperclassmen and get advice from them – make connections
  4. Sport itself is very fun 
  5. Great way to keep yourself active and healthy 
  6. Fast paced game with lots of energy.