Honey Books: The Reappearance of Rachel Price by Holly Jackson
Shayla Batson, Reporter • May 15, 2024

The Reappearance of Rachel Price  My rating: ★★★★ ⅘ stars I LOVED this book. Holly Jackson is so good at keeping readers guessing...

Exploring Democracy: The International Club visits the State Capitol
Ana Romero, Sports Editor/Reporter • May 15, 2024

The EHHS International Club embarked on an eye-opening journey to the Connecticut State Capitol. Guided by their president, Daniel Palma, the...

Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

Dugout Diaries: YellowJackets Baseball’s Race to Home

Baseball season is approaching, and the YellowJackets have some updates for us. They are breaking the silence and giving us all the details about their upcoming season. So grab your baseball bat, and hit hard because this one’s about to be a home run.

The Perfect Pitch 

How are our YellowJacket baseball players gearing up for their new season? Captain Mason McCarroll explains that he’s feeling pretty confident for the new season. He explains that he feels that the team has a lot of potential this year especially coming off of their season last year. Player Billy Barthel says he believes the YellowJackets can give a good run for their money for the 2024 season. Both players emphasize that the team’s energy and connection on and off field has set the team up for an amazing season.

Pullquote Photo

I feel excited for the upcoming season. We have a good group of guys this year that bond well and have good team chemistry. I believe we can make a run in the playoffs and I’m excited to see what our team can bring to the table.

— Billy Barthel

Mason has gone on to explain further that the boys have been training and perfecting their skills. The boys spend their time in the gym two-three times a week getting stronger than ever. They focus on themselves as well as helping the people around them. The YellowJackets stay consistent and take their practices really seriously. 

Having extra strength is always an advantage when it comes to baseball so the coaches make sure to get us in the gym frequently so we’re ready for the season.

— Mason McCarroll

It’s safe to say the YellowJackets are extra prepared for their upcoming season, and the coaches have been very attentive to them on their off season. Coach Raymond (Butch) Johnson explains that the boys are working on their skills, and going through lots of drills. Coach Johnson wants his players to work on consistency this year, and making sure that everyone on the team feels ready.

Behind the Plate – Calling the Strikes

What makes a good captain? Well the YellowJackets Baseball team is lead by four captains. Paul (PJ) Carangelo, Peyton Torre, Mason McCarroll, and Jose Hernandez. 

Let’s get to know our captains. Starting off strong we have Senior Paul Carangelo. PJ has been playing varsity baseball for a few years now. Junior Cameron LaCroix explains that PJ is very vocal on the field and that he helps captain the infield.

Pullquote Photo

He brings speed. He’s a tremendous defensive catcher.

— Coach Johnson

Next to bat, Jose Hernandez plays right field. Jose is a senior at EHHS. According to his teammates he’s a very strong player and can bring good hits to the team. He also is a good leader and is very versatile. 

Pullquote Photo

Jose is very strong, very fast, and can play anywhere

— Coach Johnson

Moving further, Senior Mason McCarroll is making a comeback. After Mason’s elbow surgery last year he wasn’t able to pitch for the season. Mason explains he tried his best to keep a positive attitude throughout last season. In turn, this motivated his team and showcased his resilience. Now he’s fully healed and ready to win.

Pullquote Photo

Mason is a very tough player, he’s overcome his injuries. I’m excited to see him perform this year.

— Cameron LaCroix

Last up to bat is Senior Peyton Torre. Peyton is known for being a solid YellowJacket pitcher. He’s got a lot of power when up to bat. Peyton is a great role model and leader to his team. 

Pullquote Photo

Peyton finished very strong pitching last year, just like the rest he’s a very solid player.

— Coach Johnson

Coach Johnson explains that keeping the harmony between the team is the most important. These four captains really bond with the team and give their players good feedback to better everyone as a unit. Senior Joel Alvarado explains that they make good captain because they want to win. Their commitment to the team is what glues the Jackets together. Joel states, “At practice they don’t slack. They take every rep seriously and want to see everyone on the team succeed.”

Beyond the Plate – Winners Edge 

The Jacket’s have many goals this season. As a whole their main goal is to qualify for both States and SCC’s. They believe that this season they have a good chance at making it. They want to be a team that gives their opposing team a good fight, and with all that training they’ve been doing – hopefully they’ll sting. The players have also mentioned that they hope to improve not only as a team but as individuals as well. Both Joel and Cameron have expressed they try to get outside and work on their skills outside of scheduled practice times. 

Pullquote Photo

Some goals I have for this upcoming season is to make states, be a competitive team, and personally to become a better baseball player by growing and developing.

— Cameron LaCroix

Off the Mound 

Keeping chemistry between a team is one of the most important ways to succeed. Something every player interviewed had mentioned was how well they all get along. All the players each bring something unique to the team. The only way to grow as a team is by supporting each other and staying positive even when things get tough. 

These boys have been playing together for years now.  Most of the players are upperclassmen who have seriously bonded over the course of their high school years. As some get ready to graduate, they hope they can pull out a good season and reel in their new freshmen players. Coach Johnson expresses that this group of kids is a good group. Not only are they good players but they’re good teammates to each other. Mason explains, “We are supportive of one another. Even if someone is in a slump or makes a big error, someone is always there to pick you back up and keep you going. That paired with a good coaching staff it will hopefully take us far this season.” 

Taking it Home

Overall our EHHS Yellowjacket baseball team has been hard at work this off season. They’ve put the time and effort in and as supporters we hope they can accomplish all their goals this season. EHHS is so excited to watch them bring it home. So everyone take your seats, because the Yellowjackets are on deck!