Keepin It Reel: A Binge-worthy TV Show to Get You in the Mood for Summer
Keepin' It Reel: A Binge-worthy TV Show to Get You in the Mood for Summer
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 24, 2024

Outer Banks  Genre: Drama, Adventure  Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Outer banks follows a group of teens who consider themselves...

AP Classes and AP Tests: Are They Worth It?
Sofia Calixto, Reporter • May 24, 2024

As we head into May, AP Exams will be taking place May 6th-May 16th. Taking this course along with taking the exam have many benefits while also...

Buzzing Bites: Blueberry Donut Iced Coffee
Holly Speers, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

On this week’s buzzing bites I will be reviewing the new blueberry donut iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts.  This coffee truly does taste like...

Exploring Democracy: The International Club visits the State Capitol

The EHHS International Club embarked on an eye-opening journey to the Connecticut State Capitol. Guided by their president, Daniel Palma, the club members immersed themselves in the heart of democracy, eager to learn more about how laws are made and how they can make a difference in their community. 

The International Club’s trip was sparked by their partnership with C4D (Connecticut Students for a Dream). “C4D invited us to learn about politics, how bills become laws, and how we can speak up for what matters to us,” Daniel revealed. This invitation allowed the club to dive into politics and understand how they can advocate for their future. During their visit, the club members had a blast exploring the historic halls of the Capitol. They even got to chat with lawmakers and other important people. “We went to a press conference about helping immigrants and learned about how laws are made,” Daniel expressed. They also got a crash course in politics, learning about bills, laws, and the work of legislators and other important people.

Now they understand how government works and why it’s important for lawmakers to listen to us. The trip helped the students see the importance of speaking up for their rights and being involved in their community. They gained a deeper appreciation for how they can make a difference in their community. One of the most exciting moments for the club was when some students bravely talked to two senators, even though English wasn’t their first language. “It was amazing to see them speak up and share their thoughts with important people,” Daniel said.  This showed them that they can make a difference, no matter who they are or where they come from. Daniel hopes the trip will inspire his fellow club members to consider careers in politics. He said, “I want them to know that politics isn’t just for adults—it’s something we can all be a part of.” The club plans to keep learning about politics and hopes to visit the Capitol again in the future. They want to continue advocating for causes they believe in and empower other students to get involved in making a difference.

The International Club’s trip to the Connecticut State Capitol was an unforgettable experience that taught them about democracy and how they can make their voices heard. As they return to school, they carry with them a newfound sense of empowerment and a determination to make a positive impact in their community.