Honey Books logo by Isabella Balseiro
Honey Books: Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi - Re Reviewed
Shayla Batson, Reporter • April 23, 2024

Restore Me Rating: ★★★★ 3.5/5 Stars This book put me in a reading slump 1 year ago and I completely abandoned the Shatter Me Series...

Off the Hive: UCONN Wins Back to Back Championship Titles Since 2007
By: Marlana DIasApril 22, 2024

Connecticut had became the first Division 1 men's college basketball team to win back to back championships since Florida 17 years ago. CNN Sports...

BUZZ BEATS: THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT by Taylor Swift
BUZZ BEATS: "THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT" by Taylor Swift
Willow Torres, Reporter • April 22, 2024
With a collection of 31 songs, I expected to be excited with all the new material, but I only really enjoyed about 4 songs.

Sticking It To The Stereotypes: Representation in the Co-Op Girls Hockey Team

In many cases, girls sports are much more underrepresented than the boys sports. In EHHS, the girls hockey team expresses their dislike about the lack of coverage on their games. 

The girls hockey team is a CO-OP team out of Guilford that also includes East Haven and North Branford girls. Although there are only a few girls on the hockey team from EHHS, they do not feel very represented. EHHS freshman, Ella DiNola, expressed her annoyance with the lack of support from other EHHS students. “The boys games are always announced, but never the girls. No one ever knows when we’re playing.” The boys hockey team is very popular in EHHS especially with their recent wins in playoffs, but the girls team feels very discouraged due to the lack of excitement around their games.

Being a girl in sports comes with a lot of challenges. There is always a chance that people will not feel as though you should play because of your gender. Boys are seen as athletic and strong while girls are seen as much softer and more fragile. In a sport like hockey, where things can be aggressive, there is even a sense of inequality in the rules. In girls/women’s hockey, any type of body checking/hitting is considered illegal. This means that in boys hockey there is a rule that allows legal body checking, but girls are given an entirely separate set of rules that do not allow it. 

Many young girls feel as though they do not have the chance to play hockey. Some of the girls on the Guilford CO-OP team have not been playing hockey for very long, and took the opportunity in highschool to join the team. This is not as easy as these girls might make it seem. The girls hockey coach, Rick Binkowski says, “It’s a really tough sport and it takes a lot. These kids who come out there are fresh, never played before and work really hard.” These girls are not recognized for their hard work and feel as though they don’t get as supported as the boys do. 

There is so little information spread about the girls hockey team, and no one is aware of the things these girls are doing. During February, the girls hockey team did an outreach called “Skate With the Varsity” for the children in the hockey community. They spend the day skating and doing fun activities. This is something that the team has done for some time now and wants to continue doing to help encourage children to follow the sport of hockey into their later years.

All in all, the team is happy with how they play together. They only want for their successes to be acknowledged and to be supported by the schools they represent.