A new column by Ava Maroney and Samantha Thy reviewing artists and music weekly. The album review for this week is Gemini Rights by Steve Lacy.
EHHS Culinary and Environmental Science Programs Plant a Garden
Valery Orrego June 11, 2024

There is a new class being added to the 2024-25 school year at EHHS. It is exciting to hear about this new project from the Profettos. This class...

Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Valery Orrego June 11, 2024

How to live your best, most balanced life this summer with Ms. Dwyer: Set boundaries. You don’t have to say yes to every opportunity you...

Keepin It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Keepin' It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Isabella Mott, Reporter • June 7, 2024

Stranger Things: Season 3 Genre: Science Fiction, Horror Isabella’s Rating:★★ Stranger Things Season 3 follows the journey after...

BUZZ BEATS: Album Review – Gemini Rights by Steve Lacy

Logo by Isabella Balsiero

Gemini Rights by Steve Lacy is the long-awaited first official full album release from the artist. Released on July 15th, 2022, Gemini Rights is a captivating but relaxing listen. From “Static” to “Give You the World,” the album is lyrically relatable to listeners which makes it an enjoyable experience.

“Hope you find peace for yourself, New boyfriend ain’t gon’ fill the void”

These are lyrics from the song “Static,” the first song off of the album that includes a mix of soft guitar and piano sounds. For relatability, people can connect with the feeling of coping with empty feelings from the past.

“Bad Habit” is the most popular song off the album with over 200 million streams on Spotify. However, its popularity is entirely deserved though, with the catchy lyrics and overall message of missed opportunities being very relatable for most people. “I bite my tongue, it’s a bad habit, kinda mad that I didn’t take a stab at it, thought you were too good for me, my dear.” The lyrics show off the idea of missing the chance to be with someone you liked because of uncertainty which can connect with many people. However, the cadence of the words is really what makes this verse so catchy.

One of the best songs on the album is titled “Mercury.” The bossa nova-inspired song is catchy and upbeat to listen to, despite the slightly contradicting lyrics. “Little of heaven, little unpleasant (ooh, ah) I don’t know (ooh, ah), Little of pleasure, little depression (ooh, ah), I don’t know (ooh, ah)” This song is about a secret double-sided nature and the references to being a Gemini at the beginning connected with that. The unpredictability of this song can give everyone a chance to connect to something different.

Finally, “Helmet” is a close second favorite with strong vocals and a powerful upbeat guitar with a more soul-inspired sound. This time lyrics about getting rid of a clingy relationship.

Overall the album, Gemini Rights, gets a 9/10 rating with zero skips. It is one of the strongest albums released this year based on a charming variety of messages, lyrics, vocals, and sounds.