New Years resolutions have been declining in popularity as were getting further into the 20s. Why?
Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

The Next Step: Senior Athletes Playing Sports
Bella Katynski, Reporter • May 12, 2024

The 2023-24 school year is coming to an end, and our beloved East Haven High School athletes are headed off to their next chapters of life. But...

BUZZ BEATS: The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan
BUZZ BEATS: "The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess" by Chappell Roan
Willow Torres, Reporter • May 10, 2024

Chappell Roan, whose real name is Kayleigh Rose Amstutz, is a Missouri-born American singer-songwriter. Many of the songs on her debut album,...

Are New Years Resolutions Still Relevant?

New Year’s resolutions are useless in today’s society. These resolutions have been a popular tradition among Americans for years. People will set goals they want to achieve in The New Year, and swear to keep up with it as their life goes on. This is one of the big reasons Planet Fitness sponsors a lot of New Years events. Most people will sign up for hobbies, and things they’ve always wanted to do, to kick start their journey in these careers. But it is apparent that most people don’t keep up with their promises. There is no point in keeping a resolution, if you have no desire to keep up with that trend. Most people bandwagon onto this idea that we have to wait until the new year to set large goals for ourselves. We see all over the media, like Tv and social media, that these adults are setting resolutions and within the same week, breaking them. But, does the same go for the students here at EHHS?
Ancient Babylonians came up with celebration of The New Year and with that they implemented the idea that New Year’s resolutions should be a tradition. Almost 4000 years ago this tradition was a relevant topic, and to this day people still celebrate The New Year with resolutions and goals.
By conducting a strategy of interviewing, and questioning the EHHS population, I was able to come to a strong conclusion on EHHS’s experience with New Year’s resolutions. Most people from my research seem to think that though they set their own resolutions for themselves, they don’t believe it is relevant anymore. At this point in the resolution trend, it has become so known that people will forget these resolutions, that society has started to not even bring them up in conversation.
Studies have shown that writing down resolutions, and speaking of them help a person feel more inclined to reach their goal, and hold themselves accountable. Once society started disregarding the act of creating resolutions, the amount of people succeeding at completing their resolutions declined significantly.
Some of EHHS’s top resolutions were achieving better grades, eating healthier, and getting more sleep. These resolutions are fairly achievable, and with some effort could very well be done, if New Years resolutions were still a relevant topic. If EHHS starts to prioritize their New Year’s resolutions, our school could be better as a whole by the end of the year.

Check out Holly Speer’s The Hive Mind on New Years Resolutions.

@ehhscomet Stay tuned on the EHHSComet website for Bella Mott’s article on New Years resolutions! 🖤🤍#I❤️thecomet #fyp #ehhs #newspaper ♬ original sound – The Comet