EHHS Culinary and Environmental Science Programs Plant a Garden
Valery OrregoJune 11, 2024

There is a new class being added to the 2024-25 school year at EHHS. It is exciting to hear about this new project from the Profettos. This class...

Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Valery OrregoJune 11, 2024

How to live your best, most balanced life this summer with Ms. Dwyer: Set boundaries. You don’t have to say yes to every opportunity you...

Keepin It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Keepin' It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Isabella Mott, Reporter • June 7, 2024

Stranger Things: Season 3 Genre: Science Fiction, Horror Isabella’s Rating:★★ Stranger Things Season 3 follows the journey after...

Unlocking Opportunities: Exploring Dual Enrollment Classes

Beginning in the 2024 – 2025 school year, EHHS will see a large increase in dual enrollment classes offered due to a grant from the state and partnerships with state colleges and universities. 

What to Know 

EHHS currently has 12 to 15 dual enrollment classes across subjects including history, English, science, and math classes. Next year EHHS is hoping to add culinary dual enrollment classes. Superintendent of EHPS, Mrs. Erica Forti believes that these classes provide a positive opportunity for EHHS students “[f]or a couple of reasons. I think it gets kids realizing that they can be successful in college and so they’re taking classes here that would be at a college level and earning credit for it.” Dual enrollment classes give students the opportunity to see what classes will be like in college and it is very beneficial to the EHHS students because it gives them insight on college classes. 

What We Offer 

The State of Connecticut is hoping that all high schools across the state work to make dual enrollment classes and get partnerships with universities for the students. EHHS has always had dual enrollment classes including English class and math classes. EHPS 6-12 Social Studies Instructional Leader, Dr. Joseph Marangell said, “Originally we had a partnership with UConn and we would offer primarily AP classes. And then over the past few years, other colleges and universities have expanded their own offerings.” More classes in the school would be good for students to get that college credit and experience early.

Changes To Come

EHHS has always had these dual enrollment classes. Recently, the State of Connecticut gave a grant to high schools across the state to pay teachers to teach dual enrollment classes. EHHS applied for funds to support the sudden increase of these classes and to train these teachers to teach these classes. Our teachers have to apply to teach these classes to make sure that both their criteria and the college criteria are lined up. In the past EHHS had partnerships with universities in the past including Southern Connecticut State University and Gateway Community College. Assistant Superintendent Mrs. Lisa Veales said, “So we started a partnership with Southern a couple of years ago that allowed students to take classes on campus at Southern for free. Students can take over the course of their junior and senior year up to 30 credits through southern either on campus here or on campus there.” Next year, there will be more dual enrollment classes through universities like UCONN. 

Curriculum Implications

Teachers that take on these dual enrollment courses need to match the criteria of what the college offers. EHHS Principal, Mr. Vincent DeNuzzo said, “There may be a need to you know, in some cases, we are proposing a new course. So in that regard, then we have to write a whole new curriculum or take the curriculum from the university and kind of adopt it and  in other cases, we may have a course that is very similar to the one that they teach and then our teachers have to go for a training orientation thing.” In some cases teachers will need to change the curriculum to match what the university offers so that students can get the credit and not have any problems. 

Current and New Classes

UCONN ECE Drawing – UCONN

Literature of War – UCONN

EHHS Writing Center – UCONN

Modern European History – UCONN

Environmental Science – UCONN

AP US Govt/Politics – UCONN 

AP Statistics – UCONN 

Discrete Math – UCONN

Health Science Technology 1 – Gateway 

Nurse Assistant – Gateway 

Intro to Drama and Theater Arts – SCSU 

College Algebra – SCSU

AP Precalculus – SCSU

Marine Science – SCSU 

AP Calculus – SCSU

Engineering 1 – SCSU

Digital Literacies: Texts & Tools in a Connected World – SCSU

Production Bake Shop – Gateway 

Culinary II – Gateway 

Pending 

Speak Up – SCSU

Sociology – SCSU

Freedom & Power: Media & Journalism