EHHS Culinary and Environmental Science Programs Plant a Garden
Valery Orrego June 11, 2024

There is a new class being added to the 2024-25 school year at EHHS. It is exciting to hear about this new project from the Profettos. This class...

Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Valery Orrego June 11, 2024

How to live your best, most balanced life this summer with Ms. Dwyer: Set boundaries. You don’t have to say yes to every opportunity you...

Keepin It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Keepin' It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Isabella Mott, Reporter • June 7, 2024

Stranger Things: Season 3 Genre: Science Fiction, Horror Isabella’s Rating:★★ Stranger Things Season 3 follows the journey after...

Thanksgiving in East Haven

Cultural differences in celebrating thanksgiving in our community

Every year in the United States, we come together on the fourth Thursday of November to celebrate Thanksgiving. But, for each family that celebration can look, sound, smell, and taste very different.
Thanksgiving could be defined as a holiday where we give thanks for the blessings like family, friends, and new opportunities that have been given to us throughout the year. It became an official holiday on January 6, 1885, when Pilgrims started to celebrate it as a way to show grace for their harvest and gathered with their loved ones and enjoyed a full complete dinner from these corps.

Some define Thanksgiving as a day to just eat while for others it could be a meaningful holiday where we come together and also use it as an excuse to see loved ones we haven’t seen in a while. Italian teacher and immigrant to the United States Mrs. Michelle Pirruccio, “When I first came here I was confused and I didn’t understand the thanksgiving point but at the same time, I was excited because it was a new experience…I used to call it the Turkey Holiday because that’s what I thought was the main point of this celebration but after a certain amount of time and after emerging into the American culture, it became my favorite holiday, I love the warmth that I feel during this time of the year, is also like an update for my family and I where we all learn together the values and importance of being grateful for everything no matter what.” Since Thanksgiving is not a global holiday, it could be a new encounter for foreigners who come to the country,

HISTORY:

According to Britannica In the US, Thanksgiving is modeled after a harvest celebration shared by the English settlers (Pilgrims) of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people in 1621. Its purpose is to celebrate the blessings of the past year. Thanksgiving Day became an official holiday in the USA in 1863, and in 1942 the federal regime named the fourth Thursday in November Thanksgiving Day. A classic Thanksgiving meal is based on turkey, cranberries, stuffing bread, and pumpkin pie, among other dishes. Canada traces its Thanksgiving holiday back to 1578, and Thanksgiving became a national celebration there in 1879; Since 1957, it has been celebrated on the second Monday in October.

The perception among immigrants who are unfamiliar with the Thanksgiving tradition is that the holiday is an excuse to gather and eat rather than to be grateful. Eight out of ten students born in the US who have typically celebrated Thanksgiving feel like is a holiday where we enjoy and appreciate the presence of our loved ones and be by their side.