Honey Books: The Reappearance of Rachel Price by Holly Jackson
Shayla Batson, Reporter • May 15, 2024

The Reappearance of Rachel Price  My rating: ★★★★ ⅘ stars I LOVED this book. Holly Jackson is so good at keeping readers guessing...

Exploring Democracy: The International Club visits the State Capitol
Ana Romero, Sports Editor/Reporter • May 15, 2024

The EHHS International Club embarked on an eye-opening journey to the Connecticut State Capitol. Guided by their president, Daniel Palma, the...

Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

Exploring The World of HOSA

HOSA is an international organization for students interested in pursuing a health career in the future, and this year, CNA Instructor Li Martin and nine of her students visited Yale University to participate in a series of HOSA competitions. It was an educational experience that was both fun and beneficial for the students involved. Some of the East Haven participants brought home medals.

Freshman Nick Cinquino won first place in Respiratory Therapy, Junior Keyonna Davenport-Mccoy won first place in Phlebotomy, and Senior Daniel Palma won third place in Nutrition. This year so far has been very exciting and successful for EHHS’s HOSA program.

What are HOSA competitions?
HOSA competitions are centered around a variety of medical and scientific fields, tackling everything from sports medicine to nurse’s aid. In the state of Connecticut, HOSA offers up to 30 competitions, and each one is different. Some competitions require students to take a test, while others require them to take photos of medical professionals in action, make a public presentation for a crowd of people to see, or work together with a team of students to solve a specific problem. There are many options available.

How can students compete?
Anyone in HOSA can register to compete in a HOSA competition, however there is a fee. This year, students paid $25 to register.

What happens if you win?
Students who place in the top three may receive a gold, silver, or bronze medal and are given the option to attend an international conference where they can compete at a higher level, which looks good on a resume. Li Martin herself competed at the international level in Nutrition when she was in high school, and she recounts the experience as a positive one that taught her how to be a leader and to persevere when faced with difficult challenges. This year’s international conference will be held in Houston, Texas.

Feedback from students
Senior and HOSA member Cristina Fernandez was one of the nine students who participated in this year’s competitions, and she placed in fifth for Medical Terminology. She studied for three weeks for about an hour a day, using sites like Quizlet and reading off textbooks, in preparation for the exam. It was hard work and the test itself wasn’t easy, but her dedication paid off in the end and she loved the experience. “I had a really nice time. We toured the Yale campus, visited some classrooms, and saw a lot of other students. It was fun and I learned a lot,” she said while recalling the event. Cristina recommends that students who want to work in a medical career give HOSA and their competitions a try!

Following this round of competitions, Nick Cinquino, Keyonna Davenport-McCoy, and Daniel Palma will be heading to Houston, Texas to compete internationally. Congratulations to all the 2024 HOSA participants, and good luck to those top three contestants!

Nick Cinquino, Daniel Palma, and Keyonna Davenport-McCoy with their medals, standing in front of Yale University