EHHS Culinary’s New Food Trailer Pulls Fundraising Opportunities Into New Peaks

EHHS Culinarys New Food Trailer Pulls Fundraising Opportunities Into New Peaks

The culinary teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Profetto purchased a food trailer, which is attached to the back of a pickup truck, in order to give back to the EHHS community for field trips for students and equipment for their culinary program that also sponsors parties and events throughout the year. The Proffetos originally wanted to purchase a food truck but the food truck was not currently available for use and they were worried that the truck would break down since the truck was so old so they decided to buy a 14’ by 8’ trailer. They both put in their own money to buy the food trailer for fundraising events and bought a food trailer due to the costs and expenses but much more mobile. 

The food trailer’s first event under the control of the Profettos was the Irish festival in Milford and students worked up to two days, some for the whole day and some for 3 – 8 hours. The trailer has a flat-top grill and almost anything can be cooked on a flat top, like hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese, quesadillas, and egg sandwiches a variety so they don’t stick with only one main food. Students can cook right in the trailer. For example, at the Irish Festival, students worked for up to eight hours over two days. There were eight students involved which led to the success of their first event.

For students to work in the food trucks a certain group has to start a fundraiser if any club wanted to raise money, the members of the club or organization could work with the Profettos to use the trailer to raise money at an event. Any money the food trailer makes goes back to the culinary program or the fundraising organization. The money raised by the culinary program mostly goes to the food trailer equipment and setting up field trips for the program. For example, they just recently brought students to Johnson and Wales to tour the culinary program and attend the Wrestling tournament. The Profettos hope to bring the trailer to parties and other school events for students and teachers. 

After thirty years of experience in the food service industry, the Profettos were the perfect team to take on this new adventure for EHHS. They hope in the future, the food trailer is to help as many school-based organizations as possible and to give students experience in the food industry if it’s cooking or presentation, which gives many new opportunities for future career choices.