Honey Books logo by Isabella Balseiro
Honey Books: Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi - Re Reviewed
Shayla Batson, Reporter • April 23, 2024

Restore Me Rating: ★★★★ 3.5/5 Stars This book put me in a reading slump 1 year ago and I completely abandoned the Shatter Me Series...

Off the Hive: UCONN Wins Back to Back Championship Titles Since 2007
By: Marlana DIasApril 22, 2024

Connecticut had became the first Division 1 men's college basketball team to win back to back championships since Florida 17 years ago. CNN Sports...

BUZZ BEATS: THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT by Taylor Swift
BUZZ BEATS: "THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT" by Taylor Swift
Willow Torres, Reporter • April 22, 2024
With a collection of 31 songs, I expected to be excited with all the new material, but I only really enjoyed about 4 songs.

It’s Time for Maritime (Program)

Photo+credit+to+Mrs.+Maria+Pompano+
Photo credit to Mrs. Maria Pompano

The maritime program is looking for people who are interested in the ocean because jobs on boats need to be filled. EHHS science teachers are hoping that the program will give students the opportunity to get their boating license and get CPR certified in the fall.  

What is it?

It is a program here at EHHS that is through the sea scouts of America that helps showcase all the opportunities available. Mr. Callahan explains that in the future they will need people for jobs. He said, “They are realizing that there is going to be a lack of workers in this particular field in the next 5 to 10 years, so they’re trying to kind of get ahead of that and get these kids interested in maritime stuff and showing them that the things they are interested in on land can be done on a boat.” 

Photo by Mrs. Maria Pompano

Who should be involved? 

People who are interested because the opportunities are so broad.  Ms. Pompano said, “And [the US Coast Guard] gave us so many, you know, careers, just in that alone. You can be an electrician, you can be a maintenance person. You could be an engineer, you can be a mechanic like the sky’s the limit.” 

Photo by Mrs. Maria Pompano

Are there any long term benefits to the school?

Yes. Science teachers are hoping that students will not only get this experience for free, but possibly get CPR certified.  Mr. Oshana said,  “There are many opportunities out there in regards to finding a good job. There, we’re learning more, we’re exploring, exploring more about options like joining the Coast Guard, the Navy and then also kind of we’re gonna get students first aid and CPR certified.”

What were the different requirements for joining?

Students had to fill out an official application after touring Mystic Seaport to see if they were really interested. In the official application (an essay) it asked why the student was interested and thought they were a good fit.

Photo by Mrs. Maria Pompano

How can this program improve?

More people. This program is just starting. In the future, they are hoping that more people will join and tell everyone how fun it is and how much they are learning.

Why did students choose to be involved?

Most students joined because it was free and seemed interesting to learn about. Evan Maya says, “I joined because it was something that sounded interesting to me while also being beneficial.”