Honey Books: The Reappearance of Rachel Price by Holly Jackson
Shayla Batson, Reporter • May 15, 2024

The Reappearance of Rachel Price  My rating: ★★★★ ⅘ stars I LOVED this book. Holly Jackson is so good at keeping readers guessing...

Exploring Democracy: The International Club visits the State Capitol
Ana Romero, Sports Editor/Reporter • May 15, 2024

The EHHS International Club embarked on an eye-opening journey to the Connecticut State Capitol. Guided by their president, Daniel Palma, the...

Keepin It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Keepin' It Reel: 3 Movies That Will Make Aou Appreciate Your Mother
Isabella Mott, Reporter • May 12, 2024

Brave  Genre: Adventure, Animated Isabella’s Rating:★★★★ Brave follows a young princess, Marida, who wants to make her own...

Breaking the Stigma: Women in Manufacturing

Manufacturing has become one of the most important Technology classes in EHHS. Manufacturing is the process of human creation in the world. This class allows for students to learn a trade and what a manufacturing job might look like in real life.

What is Manufacturing in EHHS?

Manufacturing in EHHS is teaching the students how to do basic coding and make 3D projects from that. It is showing the students what being a CNC operator would be like if they were working in a real company. They learn how to set up machines, operate machines, and see what it would be like if they did manufacturing as a career. Many big companies use the machining that EHHS has acquired for the manufacturing classes, so this makes it easier to learn what these companies would consider beginner level knowledge. With these classes, it will be possible to find a job straight out of high school. 

What was Manufacturing in the Past? 

Manufacturing has gone through many changes as the world has evolved since the beginning of time. At the start manufacturing was very simple with crude stone tools and objects were made by hand. Now as technology has advanced, people use computers and robotics to create everyday items that the world will need. JMMS manufacturing teacher Mr. Michael Cole says, “I’d say the aspect of manufacturing that has changed the most is the sheer scale of it: for better or worse, we produce things en masse.” The mass production in manufacturing has changed the quality of product, but has allowed for a more efficient way of producing a large amount of products at once. 

Women in Manufacturing 

For a very long time women did not work any jobs let alone a job in manufacturing. Careers such as manufacturing are seen as “blue collar” jobs which most people see as jobs only for men. In EHHS, not many girls feel drawn to manufacturing, woodworking, or automotive classes. These classes are majority boys. In the real world, women are seen in manufacturing more often than in a school setting.

Straying from the Stereotype 

In EHHS, girls are a minority in the technology classes. Girls do not feel very drawn to the classes due to the stigma that has been placed around them. Very often, girls will say manufacturing is a man’s job which they do not feel comfortable with. When asked if the STEM teachers are trying to get girls more involved in their classes, EHHS manufacturing teacher Mr. Jeffrey Buck said, “We’re trying our best to try and break that as organically and efficiently as we possibly can. We’re trying to make this inviting, not make this just the boys club.” Both Mr. Cole and Mr. Buck stated that girls are among the best and most skilled students in their manufacturing classes. 

Who Should Take These Classes? 

Anyone and everyone is welcome in the manufacturing classes. No experience is needed to take this class and everyone is encouraged to at least try to take one technology class.