EHHS Culinary and Environmental Science Programs Plant a Garden
Valery OrregoJune 11, 2024

There is a new class being added to the 2024-25 school year at EHHS. It is exciting to hear about this new project from the Profettos. This class...

Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Balancing The Hive: Summer Edition
Valery OrregoJune 11, 2024

How to live your best, most balanced life this summer with Ms. Dwyer: Set boundaries. You don’t have to say yes to every opportunity you...

Keepin It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Keepin' It Reel:Summer Horror Movies
Isabella Mott, Reporter • June 7, 2024

Stranger Things: Season 3 Genre: Science Fiction, Horror Isabella’s Rating:★★ Stranger Things Season 3 follows the journey after...

Seasonal Depression and the Effect it Has on Students

Dreamstime

With the return of students to school after Christmas break we can find ourselves in a predicament trying to either make up or keep up with assignments, which can be stressful when we add it all up along with our after-school activities or personal life. It’s important to have a balance between life, mental health,  and school, and even though it can be considered unrelated it plays such an important role in our day-to-day. 

An overview of students who are mostly failing classes says that it’s due to a lack of motivation and a struggle to find a balance with all activities, others say that it’s also due to seasonal depression. “You go from sunny days filled with the warmth on your skin going outside and feeling that fresh air to practically being stuck inside 90% of the time with cloudy and colorless days and feeling bored so often and the only thing going for most of us is either work or school,” an anonymous student reveals. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine “SAD” which stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that normally occurs around the fall and winter, and even though there is no clear answer on why it happens it’s considered that due to the lack of sunlight and shorter days are thought to be linked to chemical changes that connect to the brain and may be part of the cause of “SAD.”

We also need to take into consideration that young adults are still trying to find ourselves and our position in this world and what we wanna do after school. For seniors, it’s especially tough because there are many worries about the future realizing that this is for some of us the last year living around in the community and people, also,  college applications. It can make us feel like we have to have it all figured out at the moment and then suddenly create stress, anxiety, and confusion. Mental health plays such an important role in school our grades, socializing with others, and our thoughts are so powerful, yet, it’s okay, we’re not always going to come in with a positive attitude, full motivation, and overall happy. Other students feel like the school could also be more active and play a bigger role when it comes to mental health. An anonymous student said, “Everyone struggles with their own thing and you lose a sense of purpose because it feels like you are doing nothing for yourself other than maintaining a number above 90 and a letter.” 

TIPS For Dealing With SAD

There are many ways to find a balance between school and the outside world, like: 

• Going outside: even though it’s cold, try to spend some time outdoors to get some light and fresh air, it might boost your mood. 
  • Stay active: Engage in regular exercise or physical activities that you enjoy. It’s proven that exercise releases endorphins and can help alleviate symptoms of depression.
  • Stick to a routine: Establish a daily routine that includes time for schoolwork, self-care, hobbies, and socializing. Having structure can provide stability. 
  • Reach out for support: Talk to friends, family, or a counselor about how you’re feeling. They can offer support and encouragement. You are not alone. 
  • Practice self-care: Take time for activities that bring you joy and relaxation, such as reading, listening to music, or practicing mindfulness.