BUZZING ON THE BIG SCREEN: Romance Movies to Watch this Valentines Day

Logo by Isabella Balsiero
Logo by Isabella Balsiero

13 going on 30 (2004)

Run time: 1h 37m

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Rotten Tomatoes score: 65% / Audience score: 70%

On her thirteenth birthday, Jenna Rink (Christa B. Allen) makes the wish to be thirty after her attempt to become popular fails. The next day, Jenna wakes up as her 30 year old self (Jennifer Garner). However, Jenna begins to realize that adulthood is not what it’s cracked up to be.

Personally, this is one of my favorite movies and I would give it a 5/5. I think it has an interesting plot and has a good meaning behind it. Senior Amelia Westfall rates it a 4.5/5 and says it’s a cute movie. Math teacher Mrs. Orazio describes it as playful and fun. She says it gives 30 a new meaning and gives it a 4/5. Senior Ava Maroney rates it a 5/5, as it was her favorite childhood movie. Senior Mirta Sandoval says it’s a classic with some great outfits. She gives it a 5/5.

La La Land (2016)

Run time: 2h 8m

Genre: Romance, Musical

Rotten Tomatoes score: 91% / Audience score: 81%

Mia (Emma Stone), who dreams to be an actress, and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling), a struggling pianist, are brought together by a desire to pursue what they love. As they gain success, they must face difficult decisions about their relationship and the dreams they worked tirelessly to achieve.

Ava would rate this movie a 4/5 because “the set designs were beautiful as well as the outfits.” She felt it was an easy watch and describes it as a sweet and fun movie. Sophomore Justin Sieng rates it a 4.1/5 only because it’s “a bit too cheesy.” Senior Julia Crisci would rate it a 3/5. She said “she didn’t get it” but she likes the soundtrack a lot.

Me Before You (2016)

Run Time: 1h 50m

Genre: Romance, Drama

Rotten Tomatoes score: 54% / Audience score: 73%

Louis “Lou” Clark (Emilia Clarke) has her cheerful attitude put to the test when she becomes the caregiver for Will Traynor (Sam Claflin), a wealthy young man left paralyzed from a motorcycle accident. As the months go by and their bond strengthens, Lou influences Will to have a more positive outlook on life.

This movie is one of Senior, Mia Flores’ favorite movies and she gives it a 6/5. She says it reaffirmed her belief in real in real love. She describes it as beautiful, realistic, and tragic. I have to agree fully with Mia, although this movie is so sad, it’s also so beautiful and I give it a 5/5.

Juno (2007)

Run time: 1h 36m

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Rotten Tomatoes score: 94% / Audience score: 88% 

When Juno McGuff (Elliot Page) faces an unplanned pregnancy, she chooses a failed rockstar (Jason Bateman) and his wife (Jennifer Garner) to adopt her child. At the same time, Juno is struggling with her feelings for her baby’s father, Paulie (Michael Cera).

Senior Bella Balsiero says the movie can teach a lot so she gives it a 4/5.   Mrs. Orazio thinks there is too much going on and couldn’t keep up, so she gives it a 3/5. Senior Annora Sayers gives it a 2/5 because she thinks it romanticizes teen pregnancy. She says it only gets two stars because of Michael Cera. Senior Mia Flores gives it 0.9/5. She says it wasn’t horrible but thinks it was an odd movie with an even more odd ending.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Runtime: 1h 37m

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Rotten Tomatoes score: 71% / Audience score: 69% 

Bianca’s (Larisa Oleynik) house rules say she can’t get a boyfriend until her older hot-headed sister, Kat (Julia Stiles) does. When Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) falls for Bianca and learns of this rule, he and his friend pay Patrick (Heath Ledger) $500 to go out with Kat and break her heart by the end of the school year.

Science teacher Ms. Riccio says it is “the best movie ever” and would rate it a 6/5. She has loved it ever since she watched it in high school. Mirta claims it’s predictable but likes the plot so she gives it a 4.5/5. Annora rates it a 4/5 because it was a unique and entertaining story. Amelia rates it a 5/5 because it’s witty and Kat is relatable to her. Ella rates it a 4.5/5 because she loved suspense. She describes it as happy and fun. Julia would rate this movie 5/5 because the plot is perfect. She says it’s a classic 90s movie.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) 

Runtime: 1h 56m

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Rotten Tomatoes score: 42% / Audience score: 77%

Advice columnist, Andie (Kate Hudson), wants to write a piece about how to get a man to leave you in 10 days. When Andie goes off to find a man for her experiment, she meets confident executive Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey) who believes he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days.

Mrs. Orazio thinks it was a phenomenal movie that gets a 5/5 rating. She liked the banter, relationship dynamic, and the cast. Senior Madelyn Camera rates it a 6/5 because it’s easy to watch and to “fall in love with.” Julia rates it a 5/5 because she loves the plot and the characters were very interesting. She says the banter between the characters is very good, too.  Ella describes it as mindless, silly, and fun and gives it a 5/5.

The Notebook (2004)

Runtime: 2h 4m

Genre: Romance, Drama

Rotten Tomatoes score: 53% / Audience score: 85%

In the 1940s, mill worker, Noah (Ryan Gosling) and rich girl, Allie (Rachel McAdams) are in love but her parents don’t approve. When Noah goes to serve in World War II, it seems their relationship must end. When Noah returns years later, Allie is about to get married but it becomes clear that their romance is far from over.

With a 5/5 rating, Mrs. Orazio says it is the perfect love story that shows that love is not always beautiful. Julia rates it a 5/5 because it was “good and so sad.” Madelyn rates it a 4/5 and wishes she could have seen more of their future together. Ella loved the romance but didn’t like the dramatic parts, so she rates it a 4/5.  Mirta thought the movie could have been better. Due to the drama and how predictable it is, she gives it a 3/5.

Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Runtime: 1h 58m

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Rotten Tomatoes score: 79% / Audience score: 78%

Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell) lives the American dream: Perfect house, good job, great children, and a perfect wife, Emily (Julianne Moore). His life unravels when he learns Emily cheated and wants a divorce. Now, Cal is over 40 and single, but, young Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) helps him navigate his dating life.

Justin rates it a 4.5/5 because it’s “different from other romance movies.” Madelyn rates it a 4/5 because it was “really good” but says there were too many stories to follow. Mrs. Orazio enjoyed that there were a lot of different themes in the movie such as comedy and love. She gives it a 4/5. Ms. Riccio says it has a fantastic cast and thinks it’s very funny. She rates it a 4.91/5.