EHHS Esports: Reflecting on the Fall Season

For the Yellowjackets’ last Esports match of the Fall season against Simsbury High School, they endured an unfortunate loss with a score of 0-3. With this loss, the Yellowjackets broke their 2-game winning streak. Though this was quite the upset for the team, the players are satisfied with how the season went given the various obstacles along the way.

Sophomore Anthony Arcangelo, a player for the Yellowjackets, looked back on the season in a positive light. Though the team endured many losses against their opponents, they still had a good time and have grown a lot since the start of the season. Arcangelo says, “[. . .] we have played more and spent more time together, so I would say that we have grown much more since the start of the season.” The key thing that the players recognized they needed to work on was the amount of time they practiced, as Arcangelo states: “Although we had already played a good amount, I feel that practice is the real main thing that can make or break a season.” Balancing an intense course load and extracurricular activities can be a difficult challenge for many students, as advanced classes require a lot of time after school for assignments and other studying. Arcangelo and his teammate, sophomore Trevor Vaccino, definitely experienced this. Vaccino agrees that more practice could have been done by him and his team, but he also recognizes that they should have also been focusing on their communication skills during the matches: “Looking back, I think we as a team should have definitely practiced more, and we should have been focusing a little more on our communication rather than on our in-game motor skills.” Rocket League requires a balance of many skills, including communication and in-game tactics, in order to become skilled at the game. Though the Fall season has been tough for the Yellowjackets, there were many positive takeaways from the experience. Vaccino is grateful for the experience and appreciates his team’s coach, Mr. A. Gardner, for taking the time to provide an enjoyable and welcoming experience: “As always, I’d like to thank Mr. Gardner for organizing the Esports club, and want to say that all of us truly appreciate him and what he does for us.”

Currently, the Spring season is scheduled to start on February 16th, 2023. In preparation for the season, the Esports club will be holding their first meeting of the Spring season on Monday, February 6th, 2023. All students who are interested in the Esports club are welcome to attend. The meeting will be held in Mr. A. Gardner’s classroom in room W118 right after school. If you have any questions about the club or Esports in general, email Mr. A. Gardner at [email protected].