The Ups and Downs of Being a Captain on The EHHS Football Team

This year’s EHHS football team several losses but better scores from the great sportsmanship and dedication from senior captains, Jason Toth and Domenic Salato.

Being caring, courageous, and consistent are the three C’s to being a good team captain. The senior captains on the EHHS football team demonstrated these this season. Their determination and drive to never give up played a big role this year especially considering several tough losses. The boys had each other’s backs and the encouragement from the two senior captains, Jason Toth and Dom Salato, helped the most.

“Playing football at EHHS these past four years has been one of the best experiences I could ever ask for” said senior and starting varsity senior captain, Jason Toth, “To think that a sport and the game could have so much meaning to one person, is a feeling that is surely unforgettable.” Jason felt like he was finally a part of something. He made lifelong friends and was taught the responsibilities of being a leader. When his players needed his support, he was there for them. He would even help other players with their schoolwork if they were struggling. The team had quite the losses this year and he always made sure the team kept their heads held high and never gave up no matter what. “As a player, I think that I definitely display myself as someone who never gives up. I feel that even when things don’t go our way, when we are tired, or if we may be losing, I never give up and always give all I got for my team,” Jason said. Football has been a part of his life forever. His family played football and now comes to watch all his games. The sport and being a captain has made him into the person he is now, someone who is more mature and responsible. To understand the importance of leadership and have others look up to you takes lots of work, and that’s exactly what Jason achieved this season and worked on over the years. Jason hopes to continue his love for football into college and to study paramedicine, someone who can perform a wide range of emergency medic services.

A starting quarterback and a player who can play more than just one position comes with many responsibilities and skills that need to be accomplished in order to be a good captain for your team. Senior, Domenic Salato and starting varsity captain for football has succeeded in his role of being captain, as well as maintaining the responsibilities of being one. From the time Dom started playing football, all he ever wanted to do was make his dad proud. He thought since his dad had such a passion for football, he could get his attention by playing. He not only made his dad proud but he has become proud of his own team. They really came together this year and worked as a team, even with many losses. Dom felt developed as a person after playing all four years on the team. It showed him the “harsh reality” of being a captain and as well as the great feeling that comes with being one. He said that it gives him “butterflies” and being a leader on the team is a great feeling. He felt that being chosen as captain made him think to himself, “My coach has faith in me.” Dom said that most of what he knows and learned from football came from a previous player, Trey Garea. “Everything I know about being a captain comes from (Trey Garea), basically.” Dom uses his responsibility as captain not just on the field, but in his own life. He uses his responsibility on the track field as well. Dom hopes that the underclassmen carry on the leadership roles he and Jason displayed this season and use it towards having a better season next year. Even though football has been a part of Dom’s life all four years of high school, he will not be continuing it after high school. He hopes to play track, instead.

Coach Benoit thinks his pick of captains was a smart choice; “Dom and Jason have been excellent captains.” Coach Benoit talked about COVID and the effect it had on the team over the past two years. The team has been in “rebuild mode” since COVID first hit in 2020. Dom and Jason made improvements for the team and Coach Benoit definitely recognized them. He saw that this year the other players respected the captains more and really came together as a team. It will take time to get back to where they used to be but with such great captains this year, hopefully up and coming players will make the improvements needed for a better team. Benoit agrees that they are overall good players and multiple year starters leading to their positions and roles taken on as captains.

Sophomore, Alex Dombrowski had lots to say about his fellow captains. They have taught him what it takes to be a captain and he said, “I will take what they showed this year and use it for next year’s season so we as a whole team can start improving and winning more games.” He hopes to be captain in the near future and be the next best thing for the team; “Dom taught me that you need to be serious at times and get your head in the game. Jason taught me to support your teammates no matter what the circumstances are.” He agrees that both Dom and Jason have done so much for the team and correctly displayed the responsibility of being a captain.