Off the Hive: UCONN Wins Back to Back Championship Titles Since 2007
By: Marlana DIasApril 22, 2024

Connecticut had became the first Division 1 men's college basketball team to win back to back championships since Florida 17 years ago. CNN Sports...

BUZZ BEATS: THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT by Taylor Swift
BUZZ BEATS: "THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT" by Taylor Swift
Willow Torres, Reporter • April 22, 2024
With a collection of 31 songs, I expected to be excited with all the new material, but I only really enjoyed about 4 songs.
Indulge in the Sweetness of Anginette Cookies
Keissy Mejias-Laspina, Reporter • April 19, 2024

On Friday April 19th, this year’s Anginette Wars will be taking place in EHHS starting at 6pm. Everyone is welcome to watch and tickets are...

Spirit Fridays: Slay or Nay?

Madison DiNuzzo

The EHHS Class of 2023 planning committee hosts Spirit Fridays every week with a different theme. There are a few reasons for why this became an active idea,one of them being that it’s easier than full weeks. Typically, spirit weeks happen when there is a big event, like Homecoming, Prom, or a Pep Rally. The past problem with full spirit weeks is that people will forget which day is which, put more effort into one over the others, or just will not participate at all. To do it on a Friday makes them all even in the sense that more people will have more time to prepare.

Another reason is that it is just plain fun, Friday is the last day of the week leading into the weekend. “Everyone has that Friday excitement that helps bring Spirit Friday alive,” says Madison Lavorgna, a senior at EHHS. Each Friday is a different theme: Generation day on 10/14, Celebrity/Character Day on 10/21, and Anything but a Backpack Day on 10/28. Other themes, such as a costume contest for Halloween and holiday character theme for Christmas may pop up in the near future. Out of the upcoming themes, Anything but a Backpack, has a clear lead for being the student body favorite.

So far, 2 of 3 Fridays have passed and many people joined the fun. For Generation Day, each grade level was given a different age to dress as. The freshman were babies, the sophomores were toddlers, the juniors were adults and the seniors were senior citizens. Many teachers dressed up too, Mrs. Martin went all out and dressed up as an old lady with a walker and Mr. Callahan dressed as an old man who still dresses young. For character day, seniors Mateo Caputo and Madison DiNuzzo dressed up as Gru and a minion, respectively.

Spirit Fridays were not all just rainbows and butterflies though. Many students and faculty believe there should have been more advertising done to get the word out, this probably would have increased the number of students participating. Primarily, the events have been posted on the Class of 2023 Instagram account and said over the announcements a few times. In general, the school population hopes this will be a continuous event, with more time to prepare and increase the spirit.