The Hive Cafe: A Student-Run Restaurant at EHHS

Culinary teachers, Mr. John Proffeto and Mrs. Heather Proffeto and Cafe Maestro culinary students are now managing a new restaurant for teachers and staff called The Hive Cafe.

Cafe Maestro is a Mastery-Based Learning Diploma Assessment class at EHHS. Students learn important work ethic, safety, how to assemble dishes as a chef, and mannerisms of a restaurant manager. All EHHS culinary students assist in the cooking, cleaning, hosting, and deliveries.

EHHS teachers and staff are the customers that order and pay for the food. Teachers get an email of the menu in a Google Form sent by Mr. Profetto. They then decide if they would like to eat at The Hive Cafe dining area or if they prefer a delivery to their classrooms. When they submit their order, Cafe Maestro students, with guidance from the chefs, cook the meals and deliver or serve them. The menu has different themes for each week. So far, they had Southern and Hispanic inspired dishes.

Culinary 1, Culinary 2, and Baking & Pastries play a role in the prepping, cooking, cleaning, and serving. For example, if there is a dessert on the menu, the Baking & Pastries classes will make the desserts consisting of things like different types of bread, peach cobbler, and waffles. Culinary 1 does the vegetable prep, like cutting vegetables needed for the entry or appetizer. Culinary 2 will then do the assembling of the dish and cooking it. Finally, the Cafe Maestro class will serve, set up tables, and attend to customers.

Teachers who have eaten or ordered from The Hive Cafe describe the restaurant as a welcoming and great quality restaurant. Science teacher, Mrs. Gayle Tracey, loves the idea of having students run a restaurant. She believes that students are doing an excellent job in managing a real restaurant. The students also act as hostesses by seating patrons, pouring water, and setting the environment. This opportunity teaches the students how to work together and also prepares them for when they start working in the food industry. Her favorite dish served at the Hive Cafe is the apple and raspberry turnovers, which she has recommended to other EHHS teachers. Mrs. Tracey also likes the idea of spending quality time with her science department coworkers like Ms. Ellery Riccio, Mr. Jacob Callahan, and Mrs. Ellen Blanker. She appreciates having a break where she can just relax, enjoy good food, and spend time with friends.

Senior Anastasiya Kupchak who is taking Baking & Pastries describes the class as a fun and active class where one cannot be bored. Anastasiya shares that this class has taught her how to work well with others and it will help students work with their coworkers in the future when they get jobs. Her role when in class is to “Usually deliver food to the teachers, and then that is done we continue cooking a prepping for the next class.” This class has taught her how to make desserts that she has never heard of and expanded her culinary cuisine.

Mr. and Mrs. Profetto have many plans for The Hive Cafe in the future. They will continue doing the Teacher Appreciation lunch that started last year for Teachers Appreciation week, where they will serve to all EHHS teachers. During Christmas time, specifically on December 8th, they will have students make demonstration stations of their heritage foods in the LMC with the help of Mrs. Patricia Robinson and the PFO (Parent-Faculty Organization).