Categories:

The Class of 2027: Who Has What it Takes to Become an Officer?

Design by Ms. Emilia Caturano
Design by Ms. Emilia Caturano

The class of 2027 is holding elections for the class officers a little differently than they have in the past.

The class advisors are Ms. Martin and Ms. Spinelli. Ms. Martin was a class advisor for the class of 2023 and came into it halfway through their junior year. She claims it went well, but the whole class did not vote and students were voted for more so towards popularity. So this year, they decided to run elections in a different way.

In the past they usually did elections freshman year then junior year. They think it’s interesting to switch it up. Only holding a title for 2 years and re-doing it after all the hard work is not ideal. Advisors think it’s time for a change. “It’s good for students to be on the ballot that are willing to do the work,” Ms. Martin claims. 

The plan is to run it a similar way, through a Google Form and put people’s names in who want to be on the ballot with a mini speech. They are also thinking about recorded speeches so students will be able to make a proper vote. Only students who participate in meetings and fundraising are eligible to run. 

The class has various ideas to fundraise. They did a Penny Wars fundraiser last year, which they may do again, and recently had a bucket shake at Brielle’s new gelato place. Fundraising is a big part of the class. The goal was to get at least $1000 by the start of this year to put down a deposit on a prom venue. They have succeeded in their goal because the class of 2027 students have been paying their dues. Ms. Martin encourages students to pay their class dues early so they owe less of the balance during senior year. If you pay your dues early, all students get to do more as a class throughout their four years. 

Ms. Martin claims in the class of 2027 she sees pretty consistent students attending their meetings. Even though there are only a few in the club, there’s enough to vote on officers. She hopes the officers use their opportunities to talk to more classmates to get involved in their own class since its student led. “It makes the whole community a lot more fun when everyone participates,” Ms. Martin states. 

Elections are planned to be held in November and who the officers are should be out before winter break. 

There is still time for students to get involved. Come to meetings after school every other Wednesday. They would love more people to show interest. You can still participate if you can’t make it to the meetings. Any participation helps!

$0
$500